South Range And Old Porter's Lodge

The South Range is one of two ranges of almshouses that was extended in 1913. The Range consists of a central entrance archway and porter’s lodge, flanked by six cottages on each side. The outer cottages in this Range were added later and are slightly larger.


grounds and settings south range almshouse

The buildings are in red brick with bands of blue brick, sandstone dressings, and a tile roof. As with the North Range the cottages have a single storey and are arranged in pairs, each with a recessed porch and bay windows with stepped parapets. Each porch has a trefoil-headed arch and a gablet with a stepped apex, and in the centre of each range is a semi-circular bay window with a conical roof.


grounds and settings south range almshouse front

The central block, known as the Old Porter’s Lodge, has two storeys and three bays, and an archway flanked by chamfered pilasters with gablets. The Boardroom is within this central block. The arch has a lettered and dated inscription, and above it is a two-light window with a pointed arch. The outer bays contain windows that have lights with cusped heads.


grounds and settings south range almshouse close up

The South Range and the North Range were grade II listed in June 1952.